Thursday, May 16, 2013

White Before Memorial Day: Pentel Hi-Polymer Eraser Caps

Awhile back I mentioned about how much I like Pentel's Hi-Polymer erasers. They do a great job, and they're relatively cheap and available. In a discussion that followed another blog post, an anonymous commenter mentioned seeing a pencil top version at WinCo, a discount grocery chain here in the Pacific Northwest. The other day I found myself in that part of town, so I popped in briefly to stock up on some pantry supplies and had to at least glance at the stationery supplies. Sure enough, there they were!

Hi-Polymer Eraser Caps

I don't think they're quite the same material as the blocks: they seem firmer and a little more crumbly.  Still, they do a much better job of erasing than your average pencil topper.  I keep a lot of full sized eraser blocks around, but there are times when it's nice to have one right at hand.  I added one to the Ticonderoga currently living on my music stand.  They're a bit odd looking...remind me of clunky looking nurse shoes.  But they do the trick right well!

Ticonderoga booted up

Now if the fashion police will just leave the little guy alone...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. Hope you had a comfortable and musical winter.

Thanks for mentioning the eraser caps. (Funny how they can be found in unexpected places as opposed to major office supply stores.) If I can find any, they will simplify an outdoor sketching kit.

Jeff The Bear

Elizabeth H. said...

It has indeed been a musical winter and spring--that's the main reason I've been away. Had a wonderful time at Wintergrass (the big indoor bluegrass festival in Bellevue, WA at the end of February/beginning of March) and ended up coming home with a fancy new tenor banjo. What with the new toy and some things I'm really trying to get down on the mandolin, I've been extra focused on music since then. Still have an awful lot to learn, technique and theory and tunes...but the journey is a blast as always.

One added bonus to the eraser caps: they keep the pencil from rolling. I know that's not their intended purpose, but I'll take it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Glad your musical time has been so nice. That new banjo sounds like it will be fun and the learning process, even with its frustrations, should be enjoyable. You probably know, but have you heard any recordings by Steve Martin, the comedian? I saw him and his bluegrass group at the July 4th celebration on the Mall here in DC last year. He is an absolute whiz on the banjo. Picked up a couple of his CDs and they are a delight. I think I like him better as a musician than as a comedian (except for the movie "Roxanne").

I'm trying to extend my vocal range to E above middle C, where I was in college. That would give me a little over two octave range. (I bottom out at 2 octaves below middle C.) It would be nice to have a few notes that don't sound like a tuba or double bassoon. Also hope to pick up the violin to learn a few simple tunes.

Ah, the possibilities of retirement.

Jeff The Bear

Elizabeth H. said...

I've heard some snippets of Steve Martin's latest. Not bad! I think Jens Kruger is my current favorite for bluegrass banjo--check out the Kruger Brothers sometime! Wonderful stuff.

Irish tenor banjo is kind of a different animal altogether, but closer to mandolin, which makes it easier for me. In that genre, I've been really liking John Carty's "I Will if I Can" album. Still don't have as many recordings of Irish banjo as I'd like ('cause it helps me know what I should *try* to sound like), but I'm slowly adding to my collection.