Thursday, August 12, 2010

Vacation anticipation and request for movie recommendations

I have a ginormous book of sudoku puzzles and a box of pencils, I have pens and ink and notebooks, guitar and mandolin and music books at hand, stacks of books to read (both edifying and purely entertaining), trails to walk and a bike to ride, the daily Mass schedule, fresh fruit available nearby, a freshly roasted bag o' coffee and the half-and-half to go with it, various and sundry teas, and a bottle of wine.

And I have next week off.

I'm not doing much if any traveling and have no set-in-stone plans, which is what I wanted out of this little vacation/retreat. I may get up early and go to the coffee house to hunker down and work on transcribing my '08 NaNo, which I'm *still* not done. I may sleep in some mornings and then meander down the trail with a notebook and pen, maybe even pack a lunch and a book to read at a good stopping point, and make a day of it. I may just lounge around with a book and the sudoku puzzles and a cat in my lap. And I'm thinking about going to see a movie in the theater for the first time since the last Indiana Jones movie. Anyone have any current recommendations?

In addition to all of the above, I get to go to a little bluegrass festival on Saturday and hang out playing music with friends, plus hear some great bands and performers. Life is awful good.

3 comments:

Mike Speegle said...

Man! That sounds just like a little slice o' paradise. Perfect environment for writing, says I.

As far as movies go, I have been a fan of Brian Lee O'Malley for a bit, and am waiting with bated breath for Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Should be pretty good.

Strikethru said...

That sounds darned nice, this staycation of yours.

Hmm, is it just me or has there not been a single good movie out this summer? Wish I could recommend otherwise.

Elizabeth H. said...

Strikethru, you may be right, being as how I appear to have mostly stumped the blogosphere.

Perhaps I should opt for a few hours spent in the air-conditioned splendor of the bookstore instead. I have a 20% off coupon for Borders burning a hole in my pocket. Or I could do the Red Box thing at home. My sister introduced me to that concept while she was here. We mostly watched all the decent kids movies of the last little bit. Up was really a lot of fun...particularly since my dog pretty much *is* Dug. Bless his heart.

And actually, watching anything would be a novelty. I cut cable TV in June and was just realizing I haven't turned the TV on for so much as a DVD in a month and a half. I wish I could say that this meant I was using my time more profitably, but I'm afraid I've a near limitless capacity for mindless time wasting.