Saturday, March 05, 2011

Oh dear...

Why, why, why do I do these things??

I appear to have acquired what is in all likelihood a candidate for the position of Stinky Jr.  *sigh*

This is a prime example of why I should not be permitted to wander the halls of eBay unchaperoned.  And unlike Stinky, I had clear photographs of the dirty stinkiness, so I have no excuse for my behavior.  The second after I placed the opening bid, I started praying someone would outbid me, but they stopped short by about a dollar.

In my own defense, in several years of Lettera 22/32/33 stalking on eBay, I've rarely seen them go for under $50 not counting shipping, even when they're in poor cosmetic shape and described as non-functional.  And it's the type pitch I was hoping for.  And horribly, horribly filthy though the case is, the zipper looks intact.  If it *only* needs a serious cleaning and maybe some general maintenance, it might not be such a bad deal.  I can do cleaning (I have experience, for better or worse...) and I can postpone the trip to Blue Moon until it arrives just in case it has issues with ribbon reversal or other such common things.

Tentatively excited...'cause you know I've always wanted to be like Duffy and Ryan...  It could be a total heartbreak...but maybe it won't be.

Wondering what that "CAMO" thing is all about.  I reckon I need to come up with a good story or a means to cover it, 'cause it's likely to be questioned.  A last name, maybe?

7 comments:

Adwoa said...

I would consider that an excellent deal! $14 for a Lettera 33 is practically unheard of... as someone mentioned on PTF today, it appears the typewriter bubble is bursting and some good bargains are becoming available. Anyway, the seller doesn't say it's not working, just that it needs a good cleaning. You can do it! All the parts seem present and in acceptable order; it is also quite unusual to see one of these with an intact zipper, so I would say it bodes well. If it gets to you in the same shape as it appears in the auction, i.e. without shipping damage, I think you'll be off to a very good (albeit a bit smelly) start.

Elizabeth H. said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Adwoa! Makes me feel better. I'm really hoping this turns out to be a diamond in the rough--I've been wanting a little Olivetti for ages!

Matt said...

I've always wanted a Lettera 33. Francis Ford Coppola used one to write the screenplay for "The Godfather!" Lucky dog! (And that's coming from someone who's getting three Hermes machines!)

notagain said...

I hope to get to see it at a type-in some day. Nice deal. I have yet to get a typewriter on ebay. Adding in the shipping always pushes the cost too high.

Tom said...

Yes, I wouldn't lose hope. If it is a rare machine like Adwoa says and the bidding was kept low only b/c it's dirty, you may have found a real bargain. Isn't it strange how well typerwriters photograph? One has to really strain to bring out their flaws, and it looks like this seller was doing his best not to mislead. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

Duffy Moon said...

Oh, that looks like it's just dirty. That's a fine machine - was the second machine I bought (after the SM-4) and is still one of my favorites.
Those body panels are some kind of vinyl-substance, and should clean up real nice with regular cleaner.

Nice going, CAMO!

Elizabeth H. said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Duffy. And thanks for not rubbing in the fact that you got yours for about half the price and (as I recall) didn't have to pay shipping, neither.

Looks like it probably won't get here until early next week. I imagine by then I'll have gone from nail biting to gnawing my own arm off. Wish me luck...