Wednesday, October 09, 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013: In Which I Cheerfully Predict Washout

October 2013 Pencil Box
A new current mess-o'-pencils photo for ya...

NaNo '13
But given as how it's a just-for-fun year, I can see embracing whatever methods I feel like using on a given day, whether that be pencil, fountain pen, typewriter (I have scads of scrap paper after cleaning up for the office move!), Alphasmart, or even (gasp!) this vulgar beast, the personal computer.

What about you? Are you planning to be a purist of one stripe or another? If so, what sort? And, if you feel like sharing, what are you writing about? Me, I'm either going to completely rewrite my magic detective story(*3) from a few years back or go with the new idea which hit me in August, and which I'd rather not give away entirely. In essence, it has to do with avatars, but in a way I've not seen used before.

Looking forward to getting my hands dirty, whether that be literally (in the case of pens, pencils and typewriter ribbons) or figuratively! Hope to see many of you join me! (*4)

*1 What in the world is this "Eucharistic Adoration" thing? The info here is pretty well laid out. My parish actually has "perpetual" adoration, meaning that someone is there praying before the Blessed Sacrament 24 hours a day. We take it in turns, and Wednesdays from 6-7AM are my hour. 

 *2 Incidentally, for you Catholics out there, I can't recommend Fulfillment of All Desire enough: it tells the stories of some of the greatest Doctors of the Church (St. Augustine, St. Bernard of Clairvaux, St. Catherine of Sienna, St. John of the Cross, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Francis de Sales and St. Therese of Lisieux) and lays their writings out in parallel, with commentary to help make them all approachable and easy to understand. It's a lovely book. My Dad went through a phase where he handed out copies to pretty much anyone who stood still long enough (and more, via mail), and in reading it, I can see why. 

 *3 It's a noir style mystery novel! With magic! And taxis! And frogs and dragons and stuff! You should totally buy it if I ever finish it! Which is doubtful! 

 *4 For any of you who would like to add me as a friend on the NaNoWriMo site, please feel free! My username is RosieCotton.

***Typecast courtesy of the Robo-typeface Olympia SM-9 which came to me from Richard Polt by way of notagain at Manual Entry.***


9 comments:

Bill M said...

Very nice typeface on that SM9.

How are you going to use all those pencils at the same time? Just kidding.

Thanks for the link to the book. I loaded it to my Kindle.

Elizabeth H. said...

I think this typeface is my favorite of the Olympia typefaces. It's just so nice and clean.

Yeah, it is a lot of pencils! The benefit is that I can take the whole case with me to a coffee house for a morning and scribble away for long periods with sharp points always at the ready, without having to stop and mess with sharpening. And I have variety, which is fun. Those are my excuses, and I'm stickin' to them.

I hope you enjoy the book!

notagain said...

Pencils! No surprise there, but I would expect you to use a nice journal or other book. glad you like the Olympia.

Art said...

How about lunch? Or meetings? Meetings are great times to write...

Elizabeth H. said...

@notagain: I'm the one who likes those Wal-mart composition books that go on sale for a quarter apiece, remember? ;) And who keeps things like Rite-in-the-Rain notebooks around unused for years because they're fancy and I'm afraid of 'em. I *might* use one of my semi-DIY notebooks, but I think I'd be intimidated by anything ritzier for NaNo purposes.

@Art: my company is really small, and so are our meetings. And we actually tend to get stuff done in meetings, unlike some other places I've worked... But lunch break is an idea. That's usually my reading time, but for November, I could switch gears. It's going to be all about finding little pockets of time instead of large blocks.

Cameron said...

I encourage you to participate in this year's NaNo, even if you don't achieve the 50K-word goal. Writing is supposed to be FUN, as well as hard work. Or at least rewarding. Enjoy what you can, given your busy schedule.

So nice to see the Olympia SM9 techno typeface! I've got one of those machines, too (traded my SM7 with Ken Coghlan for it).

I plan to use just my Remington Model 17, and perhaps the Hermes Ambassador that's coming in next week, for this year's NaNo. Trying to narrow down my "writing machines" in hopes of achieving more coherency & consistency. For me, it's a challenge to settle down and focus on only a couple of typewriters!

Duffy Moon said...

Oh me, too! Ima washout, too!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you as to the approach for NaNo. Don't care if I hit 50K but I should have fun. I just have too many other interests and hobbies.

It'll be mostly typewriter for me this year. (Hope to see you on the Brigade section.) Nothing helps with the cartharsis of writing like pounding on a Royal standard or Olympia machine. I might use the Alphasmart once in a while in honor of its demise and there is always a composition book with thick, stiff covers and a Safari pen on standby.

Jeff The Bear

Elizabeth H. said...

I'm kind of itching to spend some long periods with the Olympia SG-1 again, so I may do that a bit. Which will involve completely restructuring my house around it yet again to move it to a friendlier writing spot. Portables don't take nearly as much thought...but I'm missing the swing of that giant return lever, among other things.