Wednesday, February 20, 2008

And in other news...

This weekend I got brave and posted one of the Hermes 3000s on Craigslist: the really beat-up one I used for most of NaNoWriMo. I almost took it down immediately, because while I had it out to take photos, I used it for a bit, and I have to say, from an ergonomics and touch standpoint, for me, the Hermes models are tops. They're intuitive, they feel nice, and the rounded models are particularly attractive. Granted, the reason I'm selling them is partly so I'll have an excuse (and some fundage) for a Pica 3000, but that's in the future, not the here and now!

Today I got my first bite -- someone who says they want to do more writing, have never used a typewriter, but think they might find it inspirational. A part of me wants to go all typewriter fangirl on them and gush about how they're the *perfect* rough draft tool, and they sound so *cool* and they smell nice; and ramble about ink and paper and websites with more info and...and.... And maybe give one away if I can't convince them without their trying one free.

And another part of me wants to hug the beat up little thing and say, "Mine! Go 'way!"

I'm not sure which mode really shows the most maturity.

4 comments:

Duffy Moon said...

I completely know what you mean. This weekend, while delivering some typewriter paper to a local lady, She showed me several machines she was getting rid of. We eventually settled on a trade of paper for machine. She kept going on about how she felt she needed to PAY me for the paper, in addition to the typewriters. I couldn't believe it! I am not nearly that generous. Nice typewriters, too! A wonderful blue Olympia SM-7 and a newer Olivetti 35L, very light and portable and types well.

Elizabeth H. said...

Very cool! One of these days I've got to try some other Olympias. Seems like around here I've only seen SM-9s...not that there's anything wrong with that, but the older models are awfully pretty.

I've not tried an Olivetti yet, either!

Well, I'm showing the 3000 on Saturday. I'm not sure if I hope it'll sell...or if I hope it won't.

Strikethru said...

Just got my first Hermes, a Rocket, and am amazed at how comfortable it is for such a dinky thing. Sounds like I might need to track down a 3000.

Elizabeth H. said...

I really do like them. Very smooth, albeit without quite the solid, hefty feel of the Olympias.

And apparently there were a lot of Hermes retailers in the Olympia area, or there's a giant Hermes 3000 attraction device hidden somewhere in the local landscape, because they just keep turning up! I've seen very few other brands here, strangely enough. I picked up all three (the two I own and the one I sold) within a radius of a few miles. Hmmm...