Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Endurance

I just received the Levenger Christmas catalog, and was pleased to see a Royal standard typewriter on the cover. Then at second glance, I realized it was completely out of proportion to the items placed around it--pens and a wallet and what-not. Turns out, it's a replica in miniature, intended for use as a bookend. I'm not about to pay $98 for a miniature typewriter sculpture, but I'm impressed by the detail. It's typewriter jewelry of a completely different sort.

I was also struck by the story behind the model: it is a replica of David McCullough's Royal, purchased in the mid-60s and still his only writing companion. It got me thinking.



(I admit, I haven't read any of his books. I should probably remedy this.)

I'd also highly recommend all retrotechie writers browse on over here for a very interesting post on writing processes--be sure to check out some of the linked sites, too! Fascinating stuff.

3 comments:

speculator said...

You can be sure I thought of the gang when that same catalogue arrived at my mailbox!
McCullough's books are great reads. He was the keynote speaker at the Maine Festival of the Book recently, and read from his book about John Adams.

You might like starting with a collection of essays, called "Brave Companions : Portraits in History."

Did you see this- about Cormac McCarthy's Olivetti Lettera 32 ?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/books/01typewriter.html?_r=3&ref=arts

Strikethru said...

Nice post Elizabeth. It made me think that one of the reasons Apple is successful is because they have managed to serve this need for an emotional connection between people and their tools (although for as well-designed and attractive as apple products are, they remain disposable for the sake of continual profits).

rino breebaart said...

I think you're spot on. You don't have to worry about insignificant upgrades with the typewriter ('oh, you've got the Royal QDL 4.21 platform from 1939? I'm sorry, I can't read that') because... they always work.