Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Vignette #4 - Daybreak

I'm behind on these things, I think...had a bad cold/flu thing over the weekend that pretty much put me down for the count. For the record, reading peculiar sci-fi whilst feverish can lead to some interesting sorta waking dream type things. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. This has nothing to do with the vignette, however.

vignette4_0001

In other news, somewhere between the peculiar sci-fi and the waking dreams and some other reading, I'm really fired up about finally finishing my first sci-fi novel...not this past year's NaNoWriMo project, but an older story. It needs to be taken apart at the seams and completely and ruthlessly rewritten, so I'd shelved it for ages. But now...I think I have enough distance from the initial writing that I can carve it up and start again. Yay for a summer writing project!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wonderful description of mood and appearence of the ocean just before dawn. The wind is usually down and all you can hear is the soft sound of the unseen water.

I grew up on an island and have seen many sunrises on the Atlantic. You captured it well and poetically.

Jeff The Bear

Elizabeth H. said...

Thanks! What bugs me is that it took me so long to see such a thing. I was so close and yet so far so many times over the years! That winter, a group of friends and some of my siblings and I all chipped in to rent a house right on the beach for several days in early January--the off season. And we really did get up and wander out there in the dark to watch the sun come up. I was surprised by just *how* dark it was--I expect dark at home just because it's rural, but we were in Florida, not far from cities. But you forget how few lights there really are out on the water. It was kind of spooky, standing there with all the ocean just feet away, completely invisible.