Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mandolin Cafe Type-In (Tacoma)

A few of us met up at lunch time today for an International Typewriter Appreciation Month type-in. Thank you, Peter, for organizing this!

Slightly messy type-cast, but such is the nature of the beast, for me, at least. Mando Cafe Type-In
Mando Cafe Type-In_0001

I spent quite awhile writing with fountain pen, too, enjoying the sunlight streaming through the window. I don't think we were supposed to get sunshine today. To me, it was an unexpected treat.

And then I got to spend time with my brother and sister-in-law and little nieces and nephew. Interestingly enough, one of the topics that came up (and I wasn't even the one to raise it) was the joy of getting a personal letter in this day and age. Which makes me feel guilty yet again about having pretty much ceased and desisted in the practice. I resolve to do better. Again.

Here is the photo I mentioned.

5 comments:

notagain said...

let's see if this works this time. Thanks for coming - excellent post! Some day I want to host at my home.

Richard P said...

Sounds like fun!

Bill M said...

Sounds like you all had a successful and fun type-in.

Ham radio fits right in with typewriters. If you learn the code typing makes copying easy and fast (although I am still learning the code and typing at the same time) and typewriters are great for filling forms and passing notes (beats scribbled notes in and emergency).

Some people claim music makes the code easier. It never worked for me since I play piano & trumpet since childhood.

Now for the challenge. I want to hear your mandolin at the fidler's convention at Galax, VA.

J.A. said...

What a fun report! I am cogitating on getting a Type-In together here in Milwaukee later this Spring - may need to pick your brains about it. p.s. Letterwriting has its own flow - no worries there - would love to hear from you. p.p.s. Have you ever played bass mandolin? My Beloved Spousal Unit has become very intrigued with them of late.

Elizabeth H. said...

Notagain--thanks again for pulling this one together! It was a nice day.

Bill - I'd like to attend Galax someday...just to listen!

Ledeaux - by bass mandolin, do you mean octave mandolin (pitched an octave below standard) or a true mandolin bass? I think I've only seen one of those a couple of times. Octave mandolin is a trip, though! I don't own one, but I've played them a few times. Same tuning only lower, but oh, those finger stretches! Definitely takes a bit of a different technique. I'd like to own one someday.